(Note: This post contains affiliate links. UM gets a small commission for purchasing items through our links. Thanks so much for supporting us!)
Slow cooker chicken enchiladas are the ultimate easy weeknight dinner! Start them in the morning, add a few things when you get home and then it’s ready to serve at dinner time.
My whole family loves this dinner because it’s super cheesy and very mild. The ultimate comfort food. Plus, you can top it however you like!
About 15 years ago, my moms wrote down all of her family recipes for us. Each one has a cute little story at the top and it’s one of my most treasured gifts. (Note to self- scan into Dropbox ASAP!)
One of the recipes she included was her homemade chicken enchiladas. They were always one of my favorites growing up but I’ve only made them once myself.
That’s because they are a LOT of work! She would easily dedicate 3 hours to making those chicken enchiladas. While they are worth it, I rarely have the time to dedicate to them.
A couple years ago I stumbled on a recipe for slow cooker chicken enchiladas and I was blown away! I decided to adapt my moms recipe to method and the result is delicious and easy.
How to Make Slow Cooker Enchiladas
- Place chicken thighs in the slow cooker and cover with diced onion and enchilada sauce.
- Add mole paste, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours (or HIGH for 3 hours). Once cooked, shred chicken with two forks or a meat masher.
- Add tortillas and 1 cup of cheese. Stir to combine.
- Top with remaining cheese and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Top with green onions and cilantro.
- Scoop into bowls and top with your favorite chicken enchilada toppings.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas: FULL RECIPE
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1.5 cups red enchilada sauce
- 3 tbsp mole paste (optional)
- 8 corn tortillas, chopped
- 2.5 cups chihuahua cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1. Place chicken thighs in slow cooker. Add onions, enchilada sauce, mole and salt & pepper.
- 2. Stir contents of slow cooker carefully and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- 3. After chicken cooks, shred it with two forks or a meat masher in the slow cooker.
- 4. Add tortillas and 1 cup of cheese. Top with remaining cheese and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- 5. Top with green onions and cilantro.
- 6. Scoop into bowls and add you favorite toppings.
Serving Size:1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
- Chipotle Copycat Guacamole is the perfect topping to these slow cooker chicken enchiladas! Also, sour cream, diced onions, chopped tomatoes, salsa and hot sauce are delicious too.
- You can cook this on HIGH for 3 hours if you’re short on time. You can also use frozen chicken thighs but the low cooking setting is best if you do.
- These chicken enchiladas are the perfect meal for leftovers. Just microwave individual portions and top with the leftover toppings.
- If you want to stretch your meat even farther, you can use one pound of chicken thighs and 1 can of drained black beans.
Need More Slow Cooker Dinner Ideas?
Looking for a healthy appetizer to serve at your next party? Try my buffalo chicken stuffed celery sticks. You can make the the buffalo chicken in the slow cooker ahead of time and assemble they morning of.
Taran is a self-proclaimed undomestic mom. She thrives as a stay-at-home-mom by consistently carving out time for herself and practicing realistic self-care. As a busy mom of 3, she knows that if mama ain’t happy, nobody’s happy! With a focus on how SAHMs can carve out time for themselves everyday, she teaches fellow SAHMs how they can do the same.