(Note: This post contains affiliate links. UM gets a small commission for purchasing items through our links. Thanks so much for supporting us!)
A few weeks ago I was really craving soup, not a surprise in this house, lol! I’ve been trying to use my Instant Pot more so I decided to conceptualize a soup with beans which is something that pressure cookers were made for. This was a hit! I also served it at a playdate and got rave reviews from adults and kids alike. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
-1lb dried Northern Beans (or navy beans)
-12oz smoked beef sausage, cut into discs
-3 carrots, peeled and diced
-2 celery stalks, chopped
-1 medium onion, diced
-2-3 cups of kale, chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1 tsp fresh thyme, minced (or 1/2 tsp dried)
-1 tbsp oregano
-2 quarts chicken stock, I use Better Than Boullion
-2 tbsp olive oil
-Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Soak beans in a bowl for 2-3 hours in cold water. Drain.
2. Turn Instant Pot on Sauté and sauté sausage for about 3 minutes.
3. Add celery, carrots, onions, garlic, thyme, oregano, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add broth and beans and cook on manual pressure for 20 minutes. Make sure valve is closed. (NOTE: I forgot to take the picture after I added the broth, whoops! Make sure to add it before cooking:)
5. Let Instant Pot natural pressure release for 20 minutes and then release the rest manually. Then remove lid and stir in kale. Let it soften and heat through for about ten minutes.
6. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
7. Enjoy with crusty bread!
Taran is a self-proclaimed undomestic mom. She thrives as a stay-at-home-mom by consistently carving out time for herself and practicing realistic self-care. As a busy mom of 3, she knows that if mama ain’t happy, nobody’s happy! With a focus on how SAHMs can carve out time for themselves everyday, she teaches fellow SAHMs how they can do the same.